Silver, porcelain and glass
In the royal collections are large volumes of silver, glass and porcelain used for everyday purposes, festive occasions or decoration. A large part of the historic silver, glass and porcelain is still used for large events in the Royal House, while other parts have been taken completely out of use and handed over for exhibition in The Royal Danish Collection at Rosenborg Castle.
The silver collection, much of which is owned by the state, consists of service: Plates, silverware, vases, etc., along with everyday and decorative articles from many centuries. The collection contains, among other things, 800 silver plates bearing the state coat of arms, of which 100 date back to the 1700s. The plates are used together with Christian IX’s silver knives from 1864 for the New Year’s banquet and state dinners, and sometimes the tables are also set with Christian VII’s large, silver soup tureens. Among the newest silver articles is a large collection of Georg Jensen knives presented to The Queen as a gift for her 70th birthday in 2010.
Among the many decorative silver articles deserving special mention is the impressive centrepiece that court jeweller Anton Michelsen produced for Christian IX and queen Louise’s golden wedding anniversary in 1892 as a gift from the Danish landed gentry. The set, which weighs nearly 200 kg, consists of three figure groups and two candelabras with motifs from Nordic mythology, all intended to decorate the middle of the banquet table. Michelsen is also the purveyor of a large number of the Royal House’s newer silver articles, among others, a mirror set with daisies and designed for the then-Princess Margrethe’s dressing table in 1941.