Frederik VIII’s Palace, or Brockdorff’s Palace, was built during 1750-60 for Baron Joachim Brockdorff. Brockdoff died in 1763, and Lord High Steward A.G. Moltke subsequently acquired the palace. Two years later, he sold the palace to Frederik V. From 1767, the palace served as the Army Cadet Academy.
The cadets had to vacate the palace when Frederik VI wanted his daughter, Princess Vilhelmine, and the heir to the throne, Prince Frederik (VII), to reside there after their wedding. From that marriage’s dissolution in 1837 until Crown Prince Frederik (VIII) moved in 1869, the palace housed various members of the Royal Family. The Crown Prince became King in 1906 as Frederik VIII, and the palace bears his name.