Fredensborg Palace was built as a hunting seat for King Frederik IV by the architect J.C. Krieger. Construction began in 1719. The main building was first used in 1722 and the chapel in 1726.
It was rebuilt and expanded during the reigns of King Christian VI and of King Frederik V and his Queen, Juliane Marie, by the architects N.Eigtved, L. de Thurah and C.F. Harsdorff.
After Queen Juliane Marie’s death in 1796, the palace was rarely used. It was not until the reign of King Christian IX and Queen Louise that the palace again became the setting for the Royal Family’s life for lengthy periods. “Europe’s parents-in-law” gathered their daughters and sons-in-law, all of whom represented many of Europe’s royal and princely houses, at Fredensborg Palace every summer. Now the Royal Couple use the palace for three months in the spring and three in the autumn.
Fredensborg Palace is often the setting for important events in the life of the Royal Family. It is here they celebrate weddings, silver wedding anniversaries and birthdays. The Queen receives heads of state from all over the world at Fredensborg during official visits, and here too, ambassadors from foreign countries present their credentials to The Queen. During state visits, there is a tradition of having the visiting head of state scratch his or her name on a pane of window glass with a diamond.
HM The Queen has maintained the centuries-old tradition that the chapel should be open for members of Asminderød-Grønholt parishes, and a public church service is held almost every Sunday.